Friday, July 22, 2011

The Insecure, Small-Minded Boss

A colleague mentioned to me the other day, that the executive director at her part-time job likes to criticize and browbeat his employees in their weekly staff meetings. It occurred to me that it is typically the insecure, small-minded person who resorts to that kind of behavior.

Over thirty-five years ago at an organization where I was consulting, the staff there had a similar type of boss to deal with. They resorted to sabotaging the boss and the organization which ultimately resulting in the boss being removed. But, before then the organization suffered and undeserved its constituents.

These bosses almost always have advanced degrees. So consider this, learning without wisdom is like a load of books on an ass' back.

If you know of anyone or if you have had an experience like this, let me know about it and and how it was handled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had the same experience in my last job, the biggest food company; I was based in the US headquarter in California. Unfortunately I had 3 of these types of bosses above: my supervisor, his manager and his director...

Long story short: after unsuccessful reporting and escalating the issues in the hierarchy and with HR, the morale of everybody was of course very low; a few months later the whole department where laid-off and out-tasked to India. Of course the crappy bosses had to stay; and because of some new US laws, had to sponsor 3 people from the out-source company visas to be permanently in the US…

It was the 3rd time in 12 years to be laid-off for me...

Maybe a topic for a blog in its own: world financial crises - small-minded bosses and the greed of the big ones…

Truth About Vegetarianism and Its Benefits

Living by good health principles is an important element in your realization of success.  Depending upon your definition of success, the r...